Friday

Photoshop vs Reality

So in this day and age everybody edits images, even in very slight ways. We edit it before we even take it by changing camera settings, lighting, shadows produced, etc... But at least we are just trying to get our own view of the final photograph, no? 
I like to take photos, I also do minor editing. For others to comment on my photos about their thoughts about my photos. I do hate it though when people say it's the perfect photo, perfect colours, perfect this, perfect that.
Basic editing, minor touch ups, to better a photo whilst keeping it as your own, keeping it as your original, yeah I do it as well. But then you get the super photoshoppers. Now I have nothing against these people, nothing at all. They produce amazing results and images. Yes image comes from the word imagination. Placing your imagination into a photo and changing it, distorting it from its reality is an amazing thing to be able to do, it also produces incredible outcomes, but it is changing and manipulating the viewers perception.
Photography is a beautiful, imaginative hobby. But it's about capturing that moment with all the good, bad and ugly of that moment. That photo is perfect. Without enhancements. It's a visual memory of that amazing, incredible moment.
Photoshop is the enhancing and changing of photos. It makes you see something that wasn't there before or something you wouldn't have seen before, when really anything should be viewed as the viewer would originally have seen it so they can understand what they are seeing  for themselves and not be seeing somebody else's vision.
I would much rather see an original photo that is natural, shows emotion and all the beauty that goes with it, than some touched up, slimmed down, "perfected image". 
Society wonders why people have this obsession to be perfect, to be something they are not. I blame it partly on photoshop, giving business, people, politicians, etc... the power to manipulate peoples views. 
Nobody is perfect. There is no real definition of perfect as we all have our own thoughts and visions. Perhaps certain people think in similar ways, but nothing exactly the same.
Photoshop makes identical possible, why do we need to be identical? 
What is this obsession with cloning and same perfection?
Can everybody not believe in what they want to believe? 
Or must we all have the same views and opinions?
Yes, most images look better after a play on photoshop but they are then just another few pixels, no longer that original moment.

1 comment: